Archives for September 2011

Navigating Motorcycle Rental Insurance When Traveling

 Zero Engineering Type 9
Creative Commons License photo credit: Brett Jordan

By Linda Dailey Paulson

Navigating the need for insurance when renting a motorcycle can seem as challenging as handling a series of switchbacks, but, with adequate preparation, vacationing riders can enjoy the opportunity to see unfamiliar terrain from a two-wheeler.

Some credit card companies provide insurance for rental cars. However, this typically does not apply when the cardholder is renting a motorcycle.

It can be confusing to know whether you are covered fully by your existing policy. Even travel insurance may be inapplicable or inadequate. It is helpful to know the engine size of the vehicle you plan to rent, as some types of insurance don’t even extend to mopeds.

WebBikeWorld says the site frequently receives emails with questions about temporary motorcycle insurance for visitors to the United States, as well as American motorcyclists traveling outside the country.

Motorcycle Services says that those motorcyclists traveling outside the United States, even if they are using their own vehicle, must carry proof of insurance while riding. Typically, U.S.-based policies provide no coverage for the driver or their motorcycle when outside the United States.

If you are a resident of the United States or Canada traveling in Europe, there is a special type of insurance known as “Green Card” insurance, which reportedly meets the foreign regulatory requirements for tourists in most European nations. Again, check carefully before traveling to determine whether you have sufficient insurance for the countries in which you will be traveling.

Those who are visiting North American will typically need insurance if they intend to ride a motorcycle. Coverage required in the United States and Canada typically includes some sort of liability policy for the period during which you will be traveling. This reportedly includes liability coverage for $50,000 to $500,000 per accident and bodily injury/property damage coverage, along with medical coverage.

Some types of coverage may be optional. This may include collision, guest passenger coverage, or uninsured motorist coverage.

Another challenge for owners is whether or not they legally own the vehicle with which they intend to travel. Visitors or tourists typically rent a motorcycle while traveling, but they sometimes bring their own. Most nations’ customs officials will not release a motorcycle without proof of insurance. The lien holder typically will not provide a release to ship a motorcycle without proof of insurance applicable to the nation in which the driver will be traveling.

 If you are renting, the firm may require you to comply with local laws. California Motorcycle Adventures and EagleRider, for example, require each rider to wear an approved helmet.

You may also wish to consider optional types of insurance coverage. This may include collision or passenger coverage.

Obviously, you will want to carefully check to determine what motorcycle insurance coverage you will need for your trip and the laws of the roads on which you will be traveling. Read the terms of your policy carefully. Ask questions of your provider to determine if any additional coverage is needed.

Another factor to consider: Determine whether you have all the appropriate visas and licenses needed to legally operate the motorcycle in the areas in which you plan to travel before renting. You won’t need insurance if you can’t drive the motorcycle.

Linda Dailey Paulson is a professional journalist who writes for, a leading car hire comparison site that searches over 50 car suppliers from London to Sydney. Linda has been covering auto and legal stories for over 20 years.

What affects your home insurance premium?

Creative Commons License photo credit: wwiwsky

Home insurance premiums can vary quite significantly depending on your circumstances.  One of the first steps is to shop around for a policy and find the one that suits you best in terms of price and coverage.

When you are looking around for your policy sometimes it’s helpful to know how a home insurance premium is calculated.  It gives you a bit of insight into how you can get the cheapest policy by making a few changes to what you buy.

Some of the things that can affect the price of your house insurance are:

  • The type of home you live in, including the age of the property will have a large influence on the cost of your premium.  Some properties need specialist home insurance cover such as if it’s a thatched property.
  • If you opt to pay more excess  then you are likely to be able to pay less for your premium.  Your excess is the amount you have to pay up front in the event of you having to make a claim.
  • Just because a policy is cheap, doesn’t mean it’s the best cover to have.  A cheap policy might be missing certain extras that other policies have included in the premium price.  If it’s cheap, very often the extras need to be added on and will cost more.
  • Having a secure home generally means that you could pay less for your home insurance.  A secure property is seen as less of a risk by insurers.  Someone living in a secure home is less likely to make a claim for a burglary and theft of contents so insurers are able to charge them a lower premium.
  • Some areas are deemed more risky than others by insurers.  Insurers look at postcode areas to determine the risk of an area.  There are various factors that go into this such as the amount of crime an area has as well as environmental factors such as is the area at risk from flooding.
  • Unoccupied homes are not particularly easy to insure and can cause a home insurance premium to be higher than if there was someone living in the property regularly.  It’s a good idea to shop around for specialist premiums like this because specialist insurers might be able to do better deals than some of the main providers. is owned by Mediamash (NI) Limited, who are an Introducer Appointed Representative of Seopa Ltd. The quote system is owned and operated by Seopa Ltd, who are authorised and regulated by the FCA, number 313860. You can view our registration at We do not give financial advice on this website. If in doubt get professional advice and always read the policy information before purchasing an insurance contract.